Home > Jailbreak & Unlock > How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2 using Blackra1n RC3

How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2 using Blackra1n RC3

by Alvin on November 5, 2009

Post image for How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2 using Blackra1n RC3

On my previous post, I’d promised you that I’ll write the iPhone 3.1.2 jailbreaking guide using blackra1n rc3, which was released only yesterday. Late last night, I was trying to rejailbreak my iPhones with blackra1n rc3 and it had worked flawlessly on my iPhone 2G and 3GS. (I couldn’t try blackra1n rc3 on my iPhone 3G as my wife is using it.) And now, I’m so excited to show the steps on how you can also jailbreak your iPhone using blackra1n.

Quick notes:

• This guide is for all iPhones including, iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS.
  • Can I unlock my iPhone in this guide? No, this guide is only showing the blackra1n rc3 iPhone jailbreak. Please refer to my upcoming post if you wish to unlock your iPhone.
  • I’m not a legitimate user, can I use this guide? Yes, your iPhone will be activated and jailbroken as blackra1n rc3 now supports iPhone hacktivation.
  • Will this work on the Mac PC? Yes, the steps can also be applied on the Mac PC and make sure you’re downloading the correct version of blackra1n rc3 for your PC OS at blackra1n.com.
  • Does it work on my jailbroken iPhone? Yes, this guide works on previously jailbroken iPhone using pwnagetool or redsn0w.
  • Will I lost all my iPhone data? Yes, make sure you’ve synced your iPhone through iTunes before you’re proceed. For jailbroken iPhone, follow this step-by-step guide to backup your iPhone data manually.

Once you’re clear, let’s get started.

1. Download blackra1n rc3 and iPhone firmware 3.1.2 here and save to a new folder on your desktop. Name the folder as “blackra1n”.

Note: Make sure you’re downloading the firmware for your iPhone model.

2. Make sure iTunes installed is the latest version. Follow this step-by-step guide to update your iTunes if it’s not already.

3. Restore or update your iPhone to firmware 3.1.2 through iTunes. Please use the shift restore method instead of click “Restore” button on iTunes.

simcard

Note: iTunes will not activate your iPhone if you’re not using the official sim card, you can close your iTunes. Or, if you’re using official sim card, let iTunes to activate your iPhone.

4. Make sure your iPhone is connected and run the blackra1n you’ve downloaded.

makeitra1n

5. Click “make it ra1n” to start the jailbreak and your iPhone will go to recovery mode with GeoHotz’s image.

6. Click “Ok” when the following message pops up and your iPhone will be rebooted.

jailbrokeniphone

7. Once the reboot is done, your iPhone will be activated (non-official sim card) and jailbroken.

8. Launch blackra1n on your iPhone, select Cydia or Rock App installer and tap “Install” to start download and install.

blackra1ninstaller

Note: Make sure you’ve connected your iPhone to Wi-Fi and autolock is set to “Never”.

9. Launch blackra1n again after iPhone respring, tap “Uninstall blackra1n” to delete or remove blackra1n from your iPhone and this step is optional.

If you have any problem on jailbreaking your iPhone, leave your message on the comment below.

Read more articles...

{ 34 comments… read them below or add one }

shab December 1, 2009 at 3:35 pm

hi i have recently purchased a factory unlocked i phone 3 Gs. i tried using blackra1n on my iphone but my phone went into recovery mode and i had to restore it. the thing is these factory unlocked phones are unlocked again when the phone is connected to the online apple store. and i was wondering with the jailbreak and all, if my phone needed restoration, should apple detect my jailbreak, will it refuse to unlock my phone if i have to restore it?

Alvin December 3, 2009 at 9:04 am

Hi Shab,

Blackra1n only supports tethered jailbreak to any iPhone 3GS purchased beyond 14 Oct 09. Meaning that, you need to run blackra1n again everytime the iPhone 3GS is restarted or power off.
Since your iPhone 3GS is a factory unlocked set, it will never be locked even though it was jailbroken and freshly restored through iTunes.

Bash December 8, 2009 at 2:11 am

what happen after installing cydia or rock?

Alvin December 8, 2009 at 5:18 am

Hi Bash,

You can start to install the jailbroken apps like SBSettings, HTC Hero cydget and WinterBoard themes.

Nicole December 10, 2009 at 12:46 am

Hello Alvin,

I just obtained my 3Gs (3.1.2, BB 05.11.07) today and I followed the instructions as above. However, when I got to step 5, and GeoHotz’s image pops up on my iPhone, iTunes pops up and detects that my phone is in recovery mode. Nothing else happens after that. No msg as in step 6.
I used iTunes to restore my iphone, but it goes back to factory settings.
My carrier has activated my SIM card/iPhone.
Any suggestions please ?

Alvin December 10, 2009 at 1:03 am

Hi Nicole,

I would suggest you to redo the jailbreak process again. Make sure you have the latest iTunes installed.

Cheers~~

Nicole December 10, 2009 at 1:23 am

THanks for your quick reply Alvin

I’ve tried it several times. Same result each time. Once the phone reboots in goes into recovery and itunes pops up and my phone shows the itunes logo. My iTunes is 9.02

Nicole December 10, 2009 at 1:24 am

If it’s any help at all, I tried running pwnage but it gets stopped at “connect device to USB”… can’t get phone into DFU to custom restore. Tried this many many times too.

Could the carrier have made some settings to prevent me from jailbreaking it ?

Alvin December 10, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Hi Nicole,

All iPhone 3GS purchased beyond 04 Oct 09 will have the newer bootrom, which Apple had updated to prevent the iPhone to be jailbroken. However, blackra1n support tethered jailbreak for these latest iPhone 3GS, meaning that you have run blackra1n again to boot it if the iPhone is run out of battery or restarted.

shadow December 21, 2009 at 7:44 pm

oh god… i cant on my iphone right after i install sbsetting and it reboot. can someone help mi?

Alvin December 21, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Hi Shadow,

If you’re using iPhone 3GS, which purchased beyong 04 October 09, you need to run blackra1n again to boot it.

shadow December 21, 2009 at 9:24 pm

oh sorry. i forgot to state something here. i used to have a jailbreak iphone with a firmware of 04.28.08 but i restore to the current version using apple itunes restore file. so now i’m having a 05.11.07 firmware version 3.1.2. so can i still use this to jailbreak it?

Alvin December 22, 2009 at 1:26 am

Hi Shadow,

Yeah, you can jailbreak your iPhone using Blackra1n RC3, which it is a simple and fast method and then follow this step-by-step guide to unlock it.

Good luck…

shadow December 22, 2009 at 11:12 am

Hi Alvin,

sorry for being annoying but i have one more doubt to ask. i have jailbreak my iphone and cydia is installed. so i happily install install0us as well. but every file i download from install0us cant be install and it just say error. so i’m wondering if my iphone is jailbroken or not?

Alvin December 22, 2009 at 11:47 am

Hi Shadow,

Have you installed AppSync for OS 3.1? If not, you find it at the same repository where you have installed the install0us.

Roby December 29, 2009 at 12:48 pm

I have installed my blackra1n successfully but I can’t seem to install cydia through it. it “Resprings” and then there’s no cydia icon on my phone. What seems to be the problem?

Alvin December 30, 2009 at 1:07 am

Hi Roby,

You can run blackra1n again and then try to install Cydia from blackra1n app on the home screen.

kevin January 15, 2010 at 9:26 am

is it even possible for my ipod to totally crash

greg January 25, 2010 at 9:51 am

I have ran this a nmber of times. While during the “make it rain” phase it doesnt show any image, just itunes. Then when it says the reboot thing it stays as a black screen its a 3.1.2 05.11.07 3g
anysuggestions?

Alvin January 25, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Ho greg,

Make sure you have installed the latest iTunes on your computer.

Hope it helps…

dion January 27, 2010 at 2:32 am

just want to say a big thankyou was worried about upgrading my jailbroken iphone to the new os but with ur help was as easy as using blackra1n!!

Alvin January 27, 2010 at 8:31 am

Hi dion,

Glad to hear that. Have you tried to install HTC cydget on your iPhone?

tim February 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm

will there b a permenant jailbreak for the 05.11.07 firmware ?? coz it can get rather irritating having to restore everytime u turn off your phone…

Alvin February 8, 2010 at 11:05 pm

You just need to run blackra1n again if the iPhone stop at the iTunes logo.

You can always come back for the latest updates…

Cheers….

Arda February 14, 2010 at 1:32 am

Hey Alvin,

“Will I lost all my iPhone data? Yes, make sure you’ve synced your iPhone through iTunes before you’re proceed.” this is what you said and I was wondering if I got that right. Like will I lose my music or previously installed apps if I use blackra1n?

Waiting for your reply…

Alvin February 22, 2010 at 1:33 am

Hi Arda,

Blackra1n will not remove any apps or music. But, restoring your iPhone using iTunes will remove all of the iPhone content.

tim February 22, 2010 at 9:41 pm

hey alvin… so the new jailbreak isn’t out yet rite?? will it b out anytime soon??

Alvin February 23, 2010 at 12:24 am

If you’re using Mac PC, you can jailbreak the iPhone by building the 3.1.3 custom firmware using pwnagetool.

But, the iPhone has to be pwned/jailbroken on firmware 3.1.2 or lower. As the non-jailbroken iPhone (stock) could not be restored directly with the custom firmware.

Arda February 26, 2010 at 5:35 am

Thanks for your reply but it took so long and I couldn’t wait for it so I used blackra1n to see what would happen… then wadaa :) I appreciate your help though…

See ya!

Katie April 8, 2010 at 1:52 am

how long does it usuaslly takes for the reboot cause my screen jus went blank and I waited and waited but nothing else happened

cassandra April 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

I recently downloaded the blackra1n jailbreak to my iphone and i coudn get anything to download after that, so i uninstalled it and tried to redownload it and now it wont download back to my iphone. what do i need to do ? please help!

ah man April 21, 2010 at 11:54 pm

jailbrek i phone 3gs 3.1.2 must need restore?

Shawn July 10, 2010 at 6:38 pm

i’ve updated my iphone 3G 8gb to 4.0, by mistakenly, which took phone now on factory setting. When i run Blackra1n RC3, it’s not showing geohot screen on my iphone rather same USB cable + itune logo appearing and itune saying, on my laptop, iPhone detected and it must be restore. I tried many times but got same msg and screen.

Please help!

thanks in advance.

ian February 9, 2011 at 4:21 am

hi i downloaded blackra1n and ran it as instructed on here to no evail my itunes is the latest version it goes through all the motions but no image came up in recovery mode only the itunes simbol the box comes up saying its done press ok then it says wait for reboot the apple sighn comes on then it says insert sim to activate