Home > Jailbreak & Unlock > How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2 using Blackra1n on Windows

How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2 using Blackra1n on Windows

by Alvin on October 11, 2009

Post image for How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2 using Blackra1n on Windows

George Hotz had released his latest jailbreak tool called blackra1n, which can jailbreak all iPhone generation including 2G, 3G and 3GS on firmware 3.1.2. Blackra1n supports iPhone 3.1 out of the box jailbreak and only takes about 30 seconds to jailbreak the devices. Currently, it does not support baseband 05.11.07 3G and 3GS unlock as the baseband couldn’t be downgraded. It does not support hacktivate, meaning that you need to activate your official carrier iPhone through iTunes.

Jailbreaking iPhone 3.1.2 Steps:

• Update your iTunes to the latest version.
  • Restore or update your iPhone to firmware 3.1.2.
  • Activate or unlock your iPhone through iTunes.
  • Download and extract blackra1n.
  • Connect your iPhone and run blackra1n.
  • Click make it ra1n button and wait your iPhone to reboot.

Once reboot done, your iPhone will be jailbroken. On the home screen, tap blackra1n icon to install the installer you’re familiar with.

blackra1ninstaller

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

vIp3r October 13, 2009 at 12:03 pm

hye,

I’m still unable to JB my iphone 3g.
1st try – the iphone show the itunes logo.
2nd try – there was a prompt (your phone is succesfully jail broken) but actually not.

I have updated my phone to 3.1.2 version.

any idea??

Alvin October 13, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Hi vIp3r,

Close both iTunes and blackra1n when your iPhone 3G stuck at the iTunes logo. Then run blackra1n again.

Was your iPhone activated through iTunes before you perform the jailbreaking?

vIp3r October 13, 2009 at 7:19 pm

hye alvin,

activated by itunes means??

Alvin October 13, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Meaning that you can only use your iPhone 3G when it is activated through iTunes.

I have just successfully jailbroken my iPhone 3G firmware 3.1.2.

Dylan October 13, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Hi Alvin,
After I closed itunes and blackra1n, i restart the blackra1n but phone still hanged at itunes logo.
Please advise.

Alvin October 14, 2009 at 1:37 am

Hi Dylan,

Please refer this post.

vIp3r October 14, 2009 at 5:21 am

Hye Alvin,

I have succesfully JB my iphone 3g.

I tried your second method by installing the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi

NOTE: I had to do manual reboot of my iphone.Because it hung whenever i wait for the phone to reboot automatically..

Thanks allot.

Alvin October 14, 2009 at 10:10 am

Hi vIp3r,

That’s great! Hope you’ll have fun in iPhone hacking scenes~~~

Dman October 14, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Hi Alvin,
I have a Iphone3GS Singapore set which is unlocked. Currently on OS 3.0.1 jailbroken. Do u know if I update to the official 3.1.2 and apply blackrain will the phone become locked? Or will it remain uplocked.

I ask this because I read that there is currently no way to unlock baseband 511. I dun want to get a locked phone after upgrading to 3.1.2

Alvin October 14, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Hi Dman,

iPhone 3GS in Singapore is a factory unlocked set even though the baseband is updated, which you can use any network carrier sim card without unlocking.

Dylan October 15, 2009 at 12:10 am

i tried the second method by re-installing applemobiledevice.msi but failed to JB using blackra1n. I am using windows XP.

Alvin October 15, 2009 at 12:52 am

You may want to try the method shown in the YouTube below. I’d tried this but it doesn’t work for me. Maybe it works for your iPhone 3G.

Dman October 15, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Hi Alvin,
Blackra1n worked like a charm! Even Easier than what i had to do for Redsn0w when jailbreaking 3.0.1!

All my previous jailbroken apps remained intact and was able to run after jailbreak! Modem Firmware now 05.11.07
And as you said, my phone remains unlocked because it was a factory unlocked set from Singtel! Tested with Sim card of another Telco.

Think Blackra1n works with ease on Iphone 3GS but requires some tweaking on Iphone3G.

Alvin October 15, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Hi Dman,

Blackra1n is a good jailbreak tool for the iPhone that is factory unlocked set. Whereas Pwnagetool is only released in Mac version, which I think not all iPhone users can benefit the features of the custom firmware.

Do you know that M1 is going to start offering iPhone 3GS next month?

Dylan October 17, 2009 at 10:25 am

Tried the youtube method but it does not show the blackra1n logo after holding the home button.
I have disabled the ituneshelper.exe but it does not help too.

Dylan October 17, 2009 at 10:33 am

btw, i tried to download the custom ipsw and restore the phone. I was able to jailbreak but not able to get telco signal/service.
Please advise, bro.

Alvin October 17, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Hi Dylan,

If your iPhone 3G is an official carrier set, please download the custom firmware that does not hactivate the iPhone, which you need to activate it through iTunes after restoring.

Could you check your iPhone baseband version?

P/S: Are you downloading 3.1 custom firmware for your iPhone 3G?

vIp3r October 18, 2009 at 5:58 am

hye alvin,

u have any idea how to uninstall icy from my iphone 3g??

please advice. Thanks

Alvin October 18, 2009 at 9:25 am

Hi vIp3r,

Install cydelete through Icy installer to remove it.

Or, you can restore and jailbreak your iPhone 3G again.

P/S: I’ve not tested the first method.

Dylan October 18, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Hi Alvin,

My baseband version is 05.11.07.

Yes, I downloaded custom 3.1 Ipsw but able to jailbreak and Cydia was installed.
However, the phone does not receive any signal after inserting sim card.

Please advise me on the suitable site to download the custom 3.1 ipsw?

Dylan October 18, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Any idea on how to downgrade the baseband version?

Alvin October 19, 2009 at 12:28 am

Hi Dylan,

As of now, iPhone 3G and 3G[S] baseband 05.11.07 could not be updated and downgraded. You might need to wait for iPhone dev team to work on the carrier unlock for baseband 05.11.07.

Dylan October 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Hi Alvin,

My iphone is an official 3G Singapore unlocked set under SingTel.

Any advice?

Alvin October 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Hi Dylan,

Since your iPhone 3G is a factory unlocked set, I would suggest you to restore your iPhone 3G with firmware 3.1.2 and jailbreak it using blackra1n.

Herdy October 21, 2009 at 3:21 am

hey ko Alvin,

I have succesfully Jailbreak my iphone 3Gs..
haha..
thx a lot.. ^^

Alvin October 21, 2009 at 4:28 am

Edy,

Have you installed Cydia installer?

ladbag October 23, 2009 at 2:07 pm

tried every method out there from every site ive found and none work. do you need to update the carrier settings in itunes? mine keeps asking but i say no. is that a requirement for blackra1n?

iphone (official ATT) 3g 3.1.2 no JB

i’ve gotten to the point of not even wanting to use blackra1n anymore, ive used it before with older FMWs and its fine but not this one. jailbroken over 5 devices but for some reason cant do this one. does anyone know where to get a REAL custom 3.1.2 that is already jailbroke? the ones ive found give me a 1601 or 1602 error even in real DFU and recovery modes. please help

Alvin October 23, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Hi Ladbag,

Have you tried to uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support? See this post.

Hope it helps…

ladbag October 23, 2009 at 2:27 pm

yes, I have with no luck. I think my last resort for this phone is to find a custom jb firmware. not worried about carrier unlock. need it with baseband 5.11.* intact to work but I haven’t been able to find one

ladbag October 23, 2009 at 2:31 pm

could the problem be that my win xp is being ran on sun virtualbox 3.0 for Linux xubuntu hardy? I can restore no problem so I didn’t think that was it but maybe someone knows different (no probs syncing/iTunes restore with apple firmware)

Alvin October 25, 2009 at 4:01 am

Hi Ladbag,

you can my method on your friend’s PC running Windows XP or Vista.

ladbag October 25, 2009 at 1:12 pm

well i do have windows XP SP3 but it runs in sun virtualbox 3.0. i’ve jailbroken before using it, its just this new version of blackra1n with the 3.1.2. ive also used my hackintosh leopard 10.5.1 with pwnagetool for 3.1. i think its just this device with blackra1n. alot of other have had the same problem, where they’ve tried every fix method under the sun with no luck. do you know where i can find a custom IPSW that has the 5.11.07 baseband included? cuz mine is fully upgraded to all newest firmware/baseband/carrier settings. i dont need an unlock since i’m with att for another year. i have a JB 3gs on 3.0.1 so its not like im in dire need of a jailbreak to live but it still is annoying that my work phone (the 3g) doesnt have any themes/categories. if anyone could point me to a custom IPSW that doesnt give a 1601-1604 error everytime i would greatly appreciate to try that method (i would custom it my self but no longer have the hackintosh installed.

ladbag October 25, 2009 at 1:15 pm

P.S. the only other windows computer i have access to is my girlfriends laptop running windows ICE XP SP3 (which is what my virtualbox also runs) which is a custom hacked windows version, but the problem is it only stays on for about five minutes then overheats. only way i could try (which i will do tomorrow since i’m off and it shouldnt be raining so hard) is to use it outside in the cold to keep it running.

Alvin October 28, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Hi Ladbag,

Blackra1n RC2 was released, have you tried this version to jailbreak your iPhone 3G successfully?

Alvin October 28, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Hi Dylan,

Have you successfully jailbreak your iPhone 3G with blackra1n?

ladbag October 28, 2009 at 2:20 pm

actually yes but that turned out to not be my problem, I got in direct contact with geohot and he said rc1/2 don’t work well on virtualbox’s. so I tried on my gfs comp that I got to stay on and it worked first try. so a note to any and all Linux users – use your friends windows/mac cuz geohot himself said blackra1n doesn’t play nice with virtualmachines. I’d like to thank you all for your time with my looooong posts =)

Alvin October 28, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Hi Ladbag,

Thanks for sharing and highlighting your problem with us. It will be a great guideline for linux and the virtualbox users.

Cheers~~~

colonelsoh October 31, 2009 at 4:19 pm

hi alvin,

currently im using Iphone 2G firmware 2.2, am i able to update to firmware 3.1.2?
since 2G is not available in singapore meaning i unlocked it and jailbreak it myself..but what do you mean by “It does not support hacktivate, meaning that you need to activate your official carrier iPhone through iTunes.” does that mean that im not able to update my 2G to 3.1.2?

Alvin November 1, 2009 at 10:18 am

Hi Colonelsoh,

You can create 3.1.2 custom firmware using pwnagetool 3.1.4. Once your iPhone 2G is restored with 3.1.2 custom firmware, it’ll be jalbroken and updated to firmware 3.1.2.

hp_teach June 26, 2010 at 12:46 am

Thanks ladbag. Now all I need is a gf with a computer.

Mat October 10, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I have the iphone 3gs at 3.1.2 i have downloaded blackrain but in your stepsnit says ectract i cant n everytime i click it it sends me to itunes