Home > Jailbreak & Unlock > How to Unlock your Apple iPhone 3G

How to Unlock your Apple iPhone 3G

by Alvin on August 7, 2009

Before you proceed to this guide, you may want to check whether you need to unlock your iPhone 3G. This is because iPhone in certain countries isn’t locked to any network carrier. You can check the list of iPhone here. Since I’m in Singapore, therefore my iPhones are not locked to Singtel (Singapore) except my iPhone 2G, which I bought it from a member of hardwarezone forum.

If your iPhone is locked, you need to unlock the iPhone using iPhone Dev team’s software unlocking tool known as ultrasn0w. You’ll need to jailbreak your iPhone 3G and then install the ultrasn0w from Cydia installer.

Make sure your iPhone is connected to your home Wi-Fi to access the Internet and set Autolock to never to avoid the Wi-Fi connection lost.

Unlocking Process:

• On your iPhone, launch Cydia installer and update when Cydia prompted to.
  • After restarted Cydia installer, go to Manage, Edit and tap Add.
  • Once the source has been updated, press Return to Cydia and then tap Done.
  • On the Sources, select repo666.ultrasn0w.com from the list of Entered by User and you’ll see ultrasn0w package there.
  • Select ultrasn0w, Install and tap Confirm. Cydia installer will install the ultrasn0w.
  • Once installation completed, press Return to Cydia and restart your Apple iPhone.

Once it’s completed, insert your sim card and you will see the network signal bar, which means you’ve successfully unlocked your iPhone 3G.

P/S: You can also use this guide to unlock your iPhone 3GS.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

julian August 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm

hey man thx for the answer on facebook, look , seems like ther is a problem with the last version of ultrasnow i hope its that the problem, and with an updatep get fix, but the problem its tha when i make a the ultrasnow thing, my bar signal its ok so.. i dont know why i cant make calls o recieved..thx for the attention from spain

Alvin August 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Hi Julian,

Try to reset the network settings to see it helps.

Alan October 12, 2009 at 9:12 am

Dear Alvin,

Can I use an I-phone on Malaysian’s Digi Network with a second-hand unlocked unit.
Is it available in the market and how much would it cost and advisable to get second hand unit?
Regards.

Alan

Alvin October 12, 2009 at 10:07 am

Uncle Alan,

I believe the iPhone 3G in Malaysia is an unlocked set, which can use all network carrier sim cards. I’m not so sure about the pricing in Malaysia market and it’s not recommended to get a second-hand unit as it does not come with 1-year warranty.

sagar October 13, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Hi !

I have just updated my iphone with iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore but it got locked & unable to unlock using redsn0w 0.8.

Can you please tell how to unlock this firmware or How can I install 3.1 again..

It’ll be your great help.

Alvin October 13, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Hi Sagar,

For your case, you need to downgrade your iPhone 2G to firmware 3.0 and jailbreak with redsn0w 0.8.

If you wish to update and jailbreak firmware 3.1 from 3.0 (you’ve just downgraded), download and restore the custom firmware through iTunes.

sagar October 13, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Hi Alvin,

I really appreciate your quick response & help.

To be frank I’m in remote area in India for few days & can’t have wifi so I’m using cable connection (in pc). Do you know how to downgrade firmware just by connecting my phone to pc (without wifi)?

Waiting for you suggestions!!

Alvin October 15, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Hi Sagar,

Last night, I’d tried to restore my iPhone 2G on my PC without the Internet connection and it was successfully restored through iTunes.

You can try to downgrade your iPhone 2G to firmware 3.0 provided you have 3.0 firmware file and the redsn0w on your PC.

P/S: iTunes managed to restore my iPhone 2G while it was activated (can use). But, iTunes couldn’t detect my iPhone 2G while it was locked at the iTunes logo. That’s mean you need the Internet connection to restore your locked iPhone 2G.

sagar October 28, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Hi Alvin,

Thank you very much for your support, I’ve done it.& it is completely working.

But after downgrading to 3.0 it shows it is switch off to my callers while my phone is always swtch on. Also it has decreased battery time.

Do you have any solution ???

Sorry to bother you again.

Sagar

Alvin October 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Hi Sagar,

Follow this step-by-step guide to update and jailbreak your iPhone 2G with 3.1 custom firmware.

Also see this post to switch off a few of your iPhone features. It may help you to save your battery life.

Hope it helps…

sagar November 4, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Hi Alvin,

Thank you very much for your help, will try it.